Look Around and Have Fun

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Homemade Vanilla

Nothing is easier than making your very own homemade vanilla extract.  It's easy, and is so much better than what you get from the store.  You can also get amazing deals on the vanilla beans from co-ops.  I got mine for a little over $1 a bean for great quality.  

All you need is alcohol and vanilla beans.  

I use a 750ml bottle of 80 proof rum.  You can use tequila, rum, or whiskey.  I like the flavor of rum best, so that's what I use.  You want about 3-5 beans per 8oz  of alcohol (depending on the quality of the bean).  

Slice the vanilla beans down the middle lengthwise to expose the beans.  Then drop them into the bottle of alcohol.  Cap it up and put it in a cool dark location.  Just give it a shake every few days for no less than a month.  The longer it sits, the stronger the vanilla.  


I started this just today. 

This is what is left of my vanilla from last July (6 months ago).  A vast difference in color.  


Give it a try and tell me what you think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment