Look Around and Have Fun

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Yacon Syrup - A Healthier Sweetener Alternative

Have you ever heard of Yacon Syrup?  I had not until recently.  I was given the opportunity to try out a bottle from Simple Health.





So, what exactly is Yacon Syrup?

"Yacon syrup is a sugar substitute native to the Andean region of South America. It is glucose-free, and does not increase blood sugar levels. Because of this, yacon syrup is often recommended as a sweetener to those suffering from diabetes or at risk for becoming diabetic.

The syrup is derived from the roots of the yacon plant, and according to some studies is a good source of antioxidants. The yacon plant tastes similar to jicama, but is biologically closer to the sunflower family. The component that gives the roots a sweet taste is Fructooligosaccharide, or FOS. The tuberous roots may be made of nearly 50% FOS, and are believed to be the greatest producers of the saccharide in the natural world.

Because the body cannot process FOS, it passes through the system without leaving behind absorbable sugar compounds. It also is relatively low in calories, compared to most other sweeteners. The process to create it is vegan, and it can be used by vegans who are averse to regular sugar or honey.

Yacon syrup is often compared to molasses, caramel, or honey in taste, with a deep and rich flavor. It easily substitutes for maple sugar or molasses in recipes, and can be used to sweeten beverages." (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-yacon-syrup.htm)


What I like most about Yacon Syrup is that it tastes a lot like molasses.  I'm a big fan of cooking with molasses.  I add it to my bread dough, my baked beans, and sometimes on my pancakes.  It's really a great new addition to my pantry.  I only wish I had a bigger bottle.  I'll just have to remedy that.  

You can get a bottle of Yacon Syrup from Simple Health on Amazon by clicking HERE.


** I received this in exchange for my review.**



No comments:

Post a Comment