Look Around and Have Fun

Monday, February 16, 2015

Black Bottom and Chocolate Cupcakes

One of my husband's favorite recipes is his grandma's Black Bottom Cupcakes.  It is something his grandma used to cook occasionally and it reminds him of her.  I decided that since I was going to be reviewing my Simple Baker Silicone Cupcake Liners and my Cake Decorating Kit, what better chance than now to make these.  Or, should I say have my kids make them.  Since my 10 year old daughter is allergic to nuts, and I needed to use icing with my Cake Decorating Kit, we also did just chocolate cupcakes.

We got the Silicone Cupcake Liners out and put them in the pan.  They are thick and sturdy feeling.  



We then made the batter.  We did half as the black bottom cupcakes and the other half of the batter as the chocolate cupcakes.  

Batter:
Sift together in large mixing bowl:
3 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa

Add to dry ingredients:
2/3 cup oil
2 cups water
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

Filling for Black Bottom Cupcakes:
Beat together:
1  8oz cream cheese - room temp
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar

Add: 1 cup chocolate chips


Full cupcake liners 2/3 full and place 1-2 tsp of filling on top of each. 
Sprinkle with chopped nuts. 



Bake 25 minutes at 350°. 

For the chocolate cupcakes we just filled them 3/4 full and left the filling out. 

We cheated on the icing. It was late so we got our premade icing out.  We put it in a bowl and whipped it for a minute with the hand mixer.  That fluffed it up nicely.  If it wasn't already 8pm I would have had the girls make some.  Oh well.  Then we put the icing in the Cake Decorator Tube.  It was a little tedious, but scooping with a spoon and pushing it to the bottom with a butter knife got the job done.  I wanted to try it out, so I went first. 


I tried using the button, but couldn't get a smooth action.  That was the cupcake on the left.  I then just slowly pushed the plunger with my thumb.  That was MUCH easier and came out beautifully.  You can see the difference with that one, on the right. 



I like the different pieces it comes with.  It's a 31 piece kit.  It has 6 different nozzles, including one for injecting fillings.  There are 24 fun decorating plates for designs as well. It's such a fun kit, and I know my kids are going to want to make cupcakes all the time now.  


With Simple Baker's Cupcake Liners, I love how they don't need greased, as the silicone easily comes away from the cupcakes.  The colors are bright and beautiful.  They are also easy to clean.  We hand wash, so we just soak in the water a few minutes and easily scrub the cake off of each one.  I love them.  



**I received these in exchange for my review.**


1 comment:

  1. You are pretty professional, those look great. I am not much of a baker and tried putting frosting in a ziplock bag and cut a tip but...that sure didn't work or look too good. I need something like what you have and try again

    ReplyDelete