Look Around and Have Fun

Friday, February 13, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash and Kalonji Paratha

On my 17th anniversary this year I decided I wanted something different.  Indian food was sounding delicious.  I hadn't cooked it very much, but wanted to give it a try.  I found a few recipes, and one was Roasted Butternut Squash and Kalonji Paratha from JustHomemade.com.  An Indian flatbread that looked eye catching and amazing.  



I started by cutting my butternut squash in half lengthwise.  I just leave the seeds in.  I put it cut side down on a baking sheet and bake it for an hour at 350°.  Once it's very soft I take it out and let it sit until it's cool enough to handle.  Then I scoop the seeds out and throw them away (or compost them).  I scoop it out from the skin, and it will easily scrape away.  Then put it in a bowl. 



Sprinkle in 1-2 Tbsp Kalonji seed from Jiva, and 1 tsp or so of sea salt (taste it to see where you want it.  Then add whole wheat flour.  Depending on the size of your squash you may need more or less. Start with 1 1/2 cups, and mix.  Add more as you need until it is a nice soft dough. 



During this time, I decided to put my new Danish Dough Whisk from Kitchen Simple to use.  I started off using a spoon.  I then tried out my dough whisk and was shocked at how easy it made this mixing job.  

The dough whisk allowed the dough to cut through the wires and mixed it great!   The wood handle was so comfortable to hold.  I found that it made my job so much easier than my metal spoon.  

After the mixing is done, kneed a few minutes, then cover and rest 15-20 minutes.  

Separate your dough into golf ball sized rounds and roll into flat circles. Cook on a griddle or skillet on med-high on both sides until it has brown spots and is cooked through.  Remove from the heat and put on a plate on top and covered with a tea towel.  Enjoy with your favorite Indian main dish. 

To learn more about Kalonji click HERE


**I received this in exchange for my review.**


No comments:

Post a Comment