Look Around and Have Fun

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Going Without Fabric Softener

There's always things that seem to pop up when you start moving to a more natural lifestyle.  When I started cloth diapering years ago, we had to stop using fabric softener.  Not just not using it on my diaper wash, but not using it period.  The residue stays in the washer and dryer. It gets on the diapers and makes them repel water.  Basically rendering the diapers useless.  One problem then become static.

I had tried vinegar.  I'd heard that some vinegar in the rinse cycle was like a natural fabric softener without harming cloth diapers.  I didn't notice a difference, and I still had static.  Years later I find wool dryer balls.  



I went in with high hopes.  I had heard about these on many natural "crunchy" groups.  I wasn't sure what I was going to get out of these.  

I've been using them for over a week.  I do a lot of laundry.  Really.  I do a lot.  I was able to give the Woon Wool Dryer Balls a good test drive.  I did a few loads with 4 of the 6 balls.  As expected, putting large balls in your dryer sounds like large balls bouncing around in the dryer.  With a larger load you don't really notice the noise too much. 



As I used only 4 in my large loads I was still having static issues.  They did great to fluff everything though.  I did another load yesterday.  I threw in the other 2 balls, making it all 6 in the dryer.  This wasn't just a big load.  It also had a bunch of fleece sleepers in it.  Static masters of the laundry world.  As I started pulling the clothes out I noticed I wasn't getting the horrible static cling.  I wasn't getting shocked and snapped.  Strange fuzzies were being pulled off and reaching out to grab back on to the clothes.  I guess 6 was the magic number for my static problem.  I'm sure you would be fine with less balls with smaller loads. It's pretty rare to get less than a large load around here.  

So, I'll say I am more than happy with my Woon Wool Dryer Balls.  They performed up to what I was hoping for.  I'm am so thrilled I now have a natural way to keep my clothes static free and fluffy without all the chemicals and water repelling problems from liquid fabric softener and dryer sheets.

If you are interested in Woon Wool Dryer Balls, you can find them HERE on Amazon.



**I received this in exchange for my review.**

 

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see this, we gave up dryer sheets months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about these but have a question. Do they roll and you have to chase them after pulling out clothes? Seems someone told me they had some and they did like them but the balls they had to chase down each time....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review. I have wondered how well these actually worked.

    ReplyDelete