Look Around and Have Fun

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Homemade Hummus with Calolea Olive Oil

I love making hummus.  It's one of my healthier snacks that I sometimes over indulge on.  I thought it would be fun to share my recipe.  I was able to try it out with some amazing Calolea Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

I start with a pound of dried chickpeas.  I soak them overnight, and then I boil them until tender.  
I drain them and set them aside.  This is done in 2 batches.  I kind of eyeball things too, so the measurements are just an estimate. This makes A LOT, so you can just halve it if you want. 

For each batch:

I chop up 3 garlic cloves.  Then add in the first half of the cooked chickpeas.  As I blend I add in about 1/4-1/2 cup of Calolea Olive Oil.  

**Its hard to pour and take a picture at the same time.**




I add 1-2 Tbsp peppadew juice (from jarred peppadews). I like about 2-3 tsp of curry paste.  A sprinkle of salt and pepper.  And a dash of hot sauce.  Whatever hot sauce you like, but I prefer sriracha sauce due to the sweetness.  If it's too thick you can add water a couple Tbsp at a time. 



Keep tasting as you go.  Adjust the flavors as you need. One it's all smooth, scoop it out and enjoy. 




Now, one of the great things about Calolea Olive Oil is the taste.  The Manzanillo has a lovely fruity flavor.  The was an olive oil should taste.  You can tell it's fresh. They also have other flavors, such as garlic and habanero. Both of these would also be great in hummus.  

A little about the company:
"Michael Keller, the founder and owner of Calolea is one of California’s early harvest pioneers.  Through experimentation Michael discovered how special it can be to experience the flavors of the early harvest olive oil. While visiting the orchard I had the pleasure of tasting some of the Tuscan Olio Nuovo. The aromas and flavors of the oil truly embodied the essence of the orchard.  The experience of tasting something so alive and fresh enabled me to connect to the land at that moment.  It is clear that Michael values quality over quantity as he strives to present his product to its fullest potential. That being said he does see opportunities for the later harvest olives as well. The later harvest olives yield a greater quantity of oil that is milder in flavor which invites the infusion of fresh ingredients such as Meyer Lemon, Blood Orange, Garlic and Habanero."

If you would like to try Calolea Olive Oil, you can find it HERE


**I received this in exchange for my review.**




No comments:

Post a Comment