Look Around and Have Fun

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Homemade Sports Drink Using Coconut Water


I'm sure most people have heard the amazing benefits of coconut water. 

"What Is Coconut Water?
Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts.

It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink. Ounce per ounce, most unflavored coconut water contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams sugar, 61 milligrams (mg) of potassium, and 5.45 mg of sodium compared to Gatorade, which has 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 mg of potassium, and 13.75 mg of sodium." (http://www.m.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/truth-about-coconut-water)

I love to use coconut water.  I'm not a huge fan of drinking it by itself.  I will when sick, or right after having a baby to help rehydrate my body.  However, using it in smoothies, add juice to it, and cooking with it is wonderful.  

I was able to try out a 12 pack of CoCo Zia 100% Organic Coconut Water.  The container comes with a twist spout that you can drink or pour straight from, and then put the lid back on if you don't use it all right away.  I love that it is organic, and I also love that the packaging is recyclable paper cartons. The plastic spout also pops off to make recycling much easier.  




After I received these containers, I found a new way to use coconut water when my kids were sick just a couple weeks ago.  

I wanted to go buy Gatorade to get some electrolytes in their system.  I really hate the artificial dyes in it, along with some of the ingredients.  I then wondered how to make a homemade version myself.  

That's when I tried this recipe.


Homemade Sports Drink

1 quart Coconut Water
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp crushed Calcium (or open 1 capsule)
1/2-1 cup favorite 100% fruit juice (fresh is best and most flavorful)
2 Tbsp honey (or sugar) to sweeten

Mix and store in a jar in your refrigerator.  You can also freeze them in Popsicle molds for children. 

You can find their 100% Organic Coconut Water HERE on Amazon. 

 



I received this free in exchange for my review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment