Look Around and Have Fun

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

60mm Compact Refractor Telescope by Gskyer

This post contains sponsored links.


As a homeschooling mother, I love to find new ways to get my kids excited about learning.  One fun item I was able to review recently caused me to have to drag my kids inside because it was way past their bedtime.  We have never owned a telescope before, and truthfully, it was the first time I had ever even used one.  This was really as exciting for me as it was for the kids.

Last night was the perfect night, as it was a full moon.  We had tried for quite a while, but rain and cloudy nights mixed with sickness seemed to prevent us from taking it out.  So, we went out into the yard and played with our new telescope.



A little about this telescope from Gskyer.



  • Style:60AZ Refractor,Aperture:60mm(2.4"),ActualFocal Length:700mm+50mm power refractor telescope & Permanently mounted StarPointer. & Erect image optics - Ideal for terrestrial and astronomical use
  • Multilayer Glass Green coated optics for enhanced image brightness,protect your eyes
  • Free includes 2 separate Interchangeable eyepieces and A 3X Barlow lens to increase viewing power & Pan handle Alt-Az control with clutch - for smooth and accurate pointing
  • Includes erecting eyepiece, A180° diagonal, moon filter , Astronomy Software and a sturdy adjustable Aluminium Alloy tripod- Good Partner with accessory tray,and Quick release dovetail attachment - no tool setup, very clear to View Moon and Planet Just At Your Home-with Handy Bag
  • Warranty:1-year limited lifetime warranty

Optical Design: Refractor
Aperture: 60mm(2.32in) 
Focal Length: 700mm(27.55in) 
Focal Ratio: F11.6
Eyepiece1: 25mm(0.98in) 
Magnification1: 28X
Eyepiece2: 10mm(0.39in) 
Magnification2: 70X
Max Magnification: 210
Finderscope: 5*24
Zenith Mirrors: 48°Erecting prism
Mount: U Altazimuth Mount
Optical coating: Antireflection Green Film
Barlow lens: 3X
Resolution: ≤4.1
Angular Field of View: 1°21"
Tuble connection: U Altazimuth Mount Screw
Tripod: Aluminium Alloy Tripod
Shipping Weight: 5Kg(176 ounces) 
Item Dimensions:33.5in*12in*4.33in


Overall, this is a really fun telescope.  Now, I'm not experienced with them. However, it was rather simple to follow the directions and put it together.  It fold up easily when not in use, and folds back down with the tripod very easily.  It is pretty sturdy and stable, although a tiny bump of the tripod will knock it out of alignment.  The lenses are so easy to switch out, and I was able to do it while keeping the moon and planets still aligned with the telescope.

I did struggle a little with the spotter scope, but that is my lack of experience.  I was able to find the moon and planets with the scope, but struggled to get it where it would be in the center cross hairs when it was in the center of the telescope view.  Once I get used to it then I will get that fixed.  For now I know it's in the bottom right quadrant of the scope.   The different lenses are a lot of fun to switch out, and to see the difference between them.  I will say that the full moon was very bright.  It was amazing, and I really wish I could have gotten a picture of what we could see.  All the kids from 3 to 14 were outside looking through it to see the craters and mountains on the moon.  It was so amazing, and really one of the most awesome sights I've seen.  It got my kids talking about Galileo and exploring the solar system.  It has opened up so much for the older and the younger children when it comes to exploring and studying what they had always seen, but had never really "seen".


I received this in exchange for my review.  If you are interested in finding out more about this telescope, or purchasing it, you can find it HERE on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment