Look Around and Have Fun

Friday, November 18, 2016

Cast Iron For Cooking

This post contains sponsored links.


One of the most essential pieces of cookware you can own is the very basic, and very innocent looking, cast iron skillet. This is an almost eternal piece of equipment that is easy to use, easy to take care of, and can be passed down for generations.



This is a 12" cast iron skillet. It came pre seasoned, meaning it is ready to use after a quick wash. They are the old school non stick skillet and, if properly cared for, will be your go to cooking item. You can fry chicken in them, cook bacon, make cakes, bake in them, and use them or everything imaginable in the kitchen world.

I love using cast iron for my cooking.  It is so amazing to use, being a natural and extremely durable non stick skillet.  It also provides iron into your diet just from using it.  I make everything from breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even desserts in them.  These are great for cooking from bacon to pineapple upside down cake.



The skillet seen here was my second time using it.  I loved using the bacon in it, as the fat was allowed to sit in it until it cooled.  That really seemed to help the seasoning.  The third use was with French Toast for my kids' breakfast.  I buttered the skillet between batches, and by the third batch the skillet was so non stick that I was able to put the French Toast on the skillet and immediately move it without it sticking at all.

Cast Iron Care:
If you see some rust pop up, scrub the spot with a little kosher salt. Then rub down your skillet with oil and put upside down in the oven for 30-60 minutes at 400°. Turn the oven off after the time is up, and remove once the oven is completely cool. 

Don't use soap on your skillet when washing. Hot water will work perfectly. Once washed, oil the skillet and dry on a hot burner. Remove from the heat, wipe it off, and let it cool. It's then ready to use again!



I received this skillet for free in exchange for my review.  All experiences and thoughts are my own.

5 comments:

  1. Love cast iron pans ~ I have a gigantic pizza pan; it's heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cast Iron are my all time favorite kind of pan to cook in. I was given a set when I got married over 20 years ago and told they have 2 purposes. To cook for him when you were not mad at him and when you were , to use it to konk him over the head. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cast iron. We finally jumped on the bandwagon about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my cast iron, use it daily.

    ReplyDelete